The AS&E Committee on Work/Life Balance have compiled a list of resources for Postdocs related to work/life! See below for resources on pregnancy during a postdoc, childcare, lactation rooms, health and wellness and relevant contacts!
Tufts Postdoctoral Scholars work/life resources
Tufts Postdoctoral Scholars work/life resources
The main source of information about many post-doc work/life policies is the Tufts University Postdoctoral Handbook, in the section on Benefits, pp. 9-10: http://hr.tufts.edu/wp-content/uploads/ODT_PostdocHandbook.pdf
Additional information that may be relevant to some postdoctoral scholars on the Medford Campus can be found on the AS&E Committee on Faculty Work/Life wiki: http://go.tufts.edu/worklife.
Postdoctoral scholars who are up to 5 years past earning their PhD are considered trainees. Postdoctoral scholars who work half time (17.5 hours per week) or greater are eligible for benefits as outlined in the Postdoctoral Handbook. Research associates who are more than 5 years past earning their PhD and work full-time are considered benefits-eligible employees and follow the standard staff benefits plans.
Work/life contacts and resources
For official guidance and information, important resource people are:
- For information and advocacy: Prof. Dan Jay, Director for Postdoctoral Affairs: Jay@tufts.edu, 617-626-6714
- For benefits, pay and administrative issues, contact the HR business partner for your school/campus.
A&S / SOE: Mary Foster, email@example.com, 617-627-2160.
Paul Alexander, Paul.Alexander@tufts.edu, 617 627-0550.
Fletcher School: Michelle Boucher, Michelle.Boucher@tufts.edu, 617 627-2446
Friedman School, HNRCA, TUSDM: Cathy Carney, Catherine.Carney@tufts.edu, 617 627-3589.
Feinstein Center: Christine McColgan, Christine.McColgan@tufts.edu, 617 627-5191.
Cummings School: Lucia Hackett, Lucia.Hackett@tufts.edu, 508 839-7975.
For unofficial advice about childcare, contact June Goldstein: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For information concerning Parental, Family Illness, Medical leaves, as well as the Family and Medical Leave Act, please see http://hr.tufts.edu/wp-content/uploads/Emp_EmployeeHandbook.pdf.
- For non-academic leave questions: contact HR Leave Administrator Laura Alix, 617 627-3154.
Policies related to parental, family illness, and medical leaves
- The five-year time limit for postdoctoral scholar positions can be extended under certain circumstances at the discretion of the Director for Post-doctoral Affairs, Dr. Dan Jay. Please consult him for more information: Jay@tufts.edu, 617-626-6714.
Dependent care and self-care resources
Elder/adult care (also see the Work/Life Committee’s wiki section on elder care)
- com Backup Dependent Care, available to benefits eligible research associates and postdoctoral scholars. Backup in-home care for a parent, partner, adult child or other adult you are responsible for. Also available for self-care. Can be used anywhere in the U.S. where Care.com has coverage. All benefits-eligible employees may use up to a total of 20 days of dependent and/or adult care per calendar year. Users pay an hourly fee. Try to register two days in advance, if possible. http://hr.tufts.edu/backup-in-home-child-and-adult-care-services/
- Referral and counseling services through the Employee Assistance Program, http://hr.tufts.edu/benefits/employee-assistance-program/, username “tufts” and password “employee.” Available to research associates and postdoctoral scholars.
Child care (also see the Work/Life Committee’s wiki section on child care)
- com Backup Dependent Care, available to benefits eligible research associates and postdoctoral scholars. Backup in-home care for use when regular care falls through or when you have a mildly ill child, a snow day, or school holiday. Available to all benefits-eligible employees. Eligible employees may use up to a total of 20 days of dependent and/or adult care per calendar year. Users pay an hourly fee. http://hr.tufts.edu/backup-in-home-child-and-adult-care-services/
- For toddler and infant care, Tufts families, including those of postdocs, have 10 priority access slots at four Bright Horizons centers. Contact Bright Horizons for availability and cost. http://www.brighthorizons.com/
- Childcare referral and counseling services, available through the Tufts Employee Assistance Program, http://hr.tufts.edu/benefits/employee-assistance-program/, username “tufts” and password “employee.” Available to research associates (benefits-eligible), but not to postdoctoral scholars.
- Eliot-Pearson Children’s School, preschool (age 2.9 years and up) through second grade. Part-time preschool, flexible days, modified school calendar. Apply in September the year before you wish to enroll your child. http://ase.tufts.edu/epcs/
- Bright Horizons at Teele Square, preschool (age 2.9 years and up) through Kindergarten. Full-time, 5-day-per-week coverage, limited holidays. Tufts part-time and full-time employees and students receive priority admission. Apply in September the year before you wish to enroll your child. http://child-care-preschool.brighthorizons.com/MA/Somerville/teelesquare
The Care.com Backup Care, available to benefits eligible research associates and postdoctoral scholars. The service can be used for self-care. Call if you need someone to pick you up after a medical procedure or drive you to a doctor’s appointment, or need help around the house while you are ill. Users pay an hourly fee; all benefits-eligible employees. http://hr.tufts.edu/backup-in-home-child-and-adult-care-services/
Medford Campus. The following rooms are dedicated lactation spaces open to all Tufts community members and visitors; call or email to reserve a time:
- Ballou Hall, first floor. Lisa Bloom, email@example.com, phone 617-627-4815.
- The Fletcher School, Cabot 207. Lynette Badin, firstname.lastname@example.org, 617-627-3329, Hall of Flags reception desk.
- Halligan Hall, Room 219. Electrical and Computer Engineering administration office, email@example.com, 617-627-3217, or Computer Science administration office firstname.lastname@example.org, 617-627-2225.
- CLIC building, 574 Boston Ave., Room 125. Lorin Polidora, email@example.com 617-627-1108.
- Tisch Library, Room 104. Tisch Administration Office firstname.lastname@example.org, 617-627-3345.
- 200 Boston Ave,. Room 1616. Human Resources front desk, 617-627-6272.
- Dental School. Room DHS 418. Request card access through the online system, https://fsrequest.tufts.edu/WebMaint/login.aspx. Most requests processed within 1-2 business days.
- Medical School. 75 Kneeland St., 6th floor. Maggie Collum, 617-626-5611.
- HNRCA. 711 Washington St., Mezzanine Level. Meghan Faherty, email@example.com, 617-556-3383. HNRCA affiliates only.
- BRPH Building, 136 Harrison Ave., Room M423. Verna Manni, 617-626-6663.
Cummings School. Contact Lucia Hackett, the School’s HR Business Partner: Lucia.firstname.lastname@example.org, 617-628-7975.
If you need an ad-hoc space elsewhere on any campus, please contact Johny Lainé, ADA Specialist in the Office of Equal Opportunity: email@example.com, 617-627-6363.
E-lists in support of work/life issues
The Committee on Faculty Work/Life maintains e-lists on the following topics to facilitate peer-to-peer support and communication: childcare, elder/adult care, and students with families. To subscribe to any of these lists, visit: https://wikis.uit.tufts.edu/confluence/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=67809486.
- Walnut Hill Properties rents apartments, mostly in two- or three-family wood frame houses near the Medford/Somerville campus, to members of the university community. 781-391-5300, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Off-Campus Housing Resource Center is available to students, faculty, staff, and alumni. Listings of area real estate agents, as well as other information of interest to potential renters. http://ase.tufts.edu/och.
Health and Wellness
- The Wellness Center is available to research associates and postdoctoral scholars. Located in the Steve Tisch Sports and Fitness Center, offers on-site medical care, health assessment and coaching, and disease management through Marathon Health. 617-627-0467 or http://hr.tufts.edu/healthandwellness/ to book an appointment. Available to all employees and their spouses or qualified same-sex domestic partners.
- The Employee Assistance Program, available to research associates and postdoctoral scholars. Offers counseling for a range of personal issues both in person in the Wellness Center and over the phone. http://hr.tufts.edu/benefits/employee-assistance-program/, username “tufts” and password “employee,” or 1-800-451-1834 to make an appointment or get a referral.